The Dollar General chain is the largest discount retailer in the United States. It ranked sixth among U.S. retailers in 2017. The industry is embracing it more and more, but it still has a way to go. If you’re one of the many customers who use Dollar General, you may wonder if they accept Apple Pay. They have thousands of products in their stores available for their customers. People are going to the store and purchasing either with cash or cards. But it is essential to know what other payment options they offer their customers.
Suppose you entered into a Dollar General store with your payment method, but you hear that the cashier doesn’t accept it. Then it would be embarrassing after getting your stuff in the cart. So, every customer needs to know if Dollar General takes Apple Pay.
Does Dollar General take payment via Apple Pay payment method?
It is not possible to purchase a product using Apple Pay at Dollar General. Despite some speculation, Dollar General never implemented its plans to install NFC technology in their stores for Apple Pay. As of now, Dollar General does not plan to accept Apple Pay. Instead, they are developing DG GO, which is a contactless form of payment.
Why doesn’t Dollar General accept Apple Pay?
Although some retailers have embraced NFC technology in their stores, others have not. The NFC technology in Apple Pay makes it impossible for stores not equipped with these terminals to accept Apple Pay. There are several reasons Dollar General hasn’t made the switch yet. These are some of the reasons.
- The lack of interest : Shoppers flock to Dollar General when they need inexpensive groceries and items. However, most of its shoppers do not have iPhones or Apple watches. That’s why Apple Pay isn’t appealing to them. The installation of NFC terminals at Dollar General would not be wise since such a large portion of their customer base is not interested in Apple Pay. It might be possible for Dollar General to start accepting Apple Pay in its stores if enough customers push the company to do so.
- DG GO : A possible reason is that Dollar General has its own mobile payment system called DG Go. A contactless digital wallet, DG GO, is available at Dollar General. Once you’re done shopping, you can also pay by phone. Using it, you can shop online faster and easier. Because Dollar General wants people to use their app rather than another company’s app, they won’t allow their customers to use a competitor’s app. Apple Pay would drive consumers away from their app if they accepted it in their stores. Through Apple, they’ll have to pay certain fees to the card providers. Keeping their customers on their own app will require them to pay fewer or cheaper fees. It makes business sense for them not to accept Apple Pay in their stores when trying to get their customers to use DG GO instead.
- Processing Fees : One more reason Dollar General doesn’t accept Apple Pay is its fees. The Apple Pay service does not charge its customers or clients, but it works with credit card companies. According to the relationship between Apple and the credit card company, the fee could be quite high. In order to keep its prices low, Dollar General must minimize its operating costs. In the area of credit cards and processing fees, they can save quite a bit of money. By refusing Apple Pay, they are cutting costs even further.
- Criticism of Apple Pay : The new Apple Pay service may seem unnecessary or risky to many consumers and retailers as it is a new payment option. Many critics claim that some stores do not accept Apple Pay because of its high fees.
What Payment Methods Does Dollar General Accept?
While Dollar General doesn’t accept Apple Pay, it does accept several other forms of payment. At the store, you can pay with cash or a personal check. Additionally, they accept major credit cards such as:
- Cash (USD)
- Credit cards: Visa and MasterCard debit and credit
- Debit cards: Visa and MasterCard
- DG Go (Dollar General GO)
In addition to cash and checks, you can use these methods for their online store. DG GO also allows you to pay as you shop using your credit card. DG Go is an app you can install on iOS and Android that allows you to scan your list while shopping and charge your payment through the phone till the end. Only selected stores accept payments using this method, so be sure your local store accepts it before paying. Don’t forget that DG Go is the only method of payment apart from cash and checks. Google Pay, Amazon Pay and Samsung Pay are not accepted at the register or online. Moreover, Dollar General accept PayPal payments on its website.
How do I use Dollar General’s DG Go App to pay with my phone?
If you have the DG Go App on your smartphone, you can pay for your Dollar General purchases with just a few taps. This is how it works from the beginning:
- Download and launch the DG Go app from the Apple Store or Google Play based on your device.
- Create your DG GO account and add your credentials and other information.
- Tap on the “Pay” option and choose “Dollar General.” as your store to purchase.
- Then scan the purchase barcode from the counter or type the purchase number.
- Finally, tap “Submit,” and your payment should be made!
Can I pay with my iPhone at Dollar General?
You can make payments at Dollar General stores with your iPhone. With this retailer’s app, shoppers don’t have to carry cash or credit cards. Dollar General has the DG GO app that you can download from App Store or Google Play.
You will have to create an account before you can use the app. After registration, you can add your credit or debit card info and choose the store where you’d like to shop. After scanning the barcode, you can confirm how much you’re spending.
What products does Dollar General sell?
Various healthier products are available at Dollar General, including national and private brands. The store stocks a wide variety of products, including household items, beauty products, cleaning products, pet products, electronics, auto and hardware, and more.
The dollar general store carries trusted American brands, such as Coca-Cola, Unilever, Nestle, Procter & Gamble, Clorox, General Mills, Hanes, and many more. The store also sells quality private brands at a discount, giving consumers options. In addition to providing convenience and quality brands at affordable prices, Dollar General also makes shopping easy for customers.
Why should Dollar General accept Apple Pay?
There are many reasons Dollar General should accept Apple Pay. I’ll give you a few reasons why Dollar General should accept Apple Pay.
- The inclusion : Dollar General is excluding potential customers by not accepting Apple Pay. Having a variety of payment options can help them expand their customer base. Despite the fact that it will cost them more money, they’ll have more customers as a result. It makes the store more inclusive instead of exclusive by accepting Apple Pay.
- Adapting the options : There are two main forms of contactless payments, although they’re not the only ones. NFC and QR codes are two of them. NFC is used in Apple Pay and other digital wallets like Samsung Pay and Google Pay. The shopper’s sensitive information stays safe with this method of transferring funds. Dollar General can stick around for a long time by using NFC technology and Apple Pay.
- Safety issue : Contactless forms of payment are becoming increasingly popular, with physical stores looking to cut down on germs and keep their customers and employees safe. Here Apple Pay is a good contactless payment option. Apple Pay doesn’t require users to touch anything. Either you scan your stuff, or the cashier scans it for you. All you have to do is touch your phone to confirm. This makes cleaning easier for store employees. In addition, it keeps the checkout lane germ-free